At a national level
A Project Steering Committee (PSC) was established in each partner country to ensure the consistency and adequacy of the activities conducted at the national level. Each national PSC evaluated the responses to the national expressions of interest and preselected two clusters as candidates for technical support. PSCs are co-chaired by the United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO) and the respective national coordinator of the Euro-Mediterranean Charter for Enterprise. PSCs also gather representatives of the European Union delegation and of the Italian Development Cooperation, national or international finance institutions and other relevant stakeholders, and, above all, the private sector. They meet regularly and provide guidance on the implementation of project activities at the national level as well as on the respective plans to replicate the project.
At a regional level
A Project Approval Committee (PAC) was established to:
- Ensure the consistency and adequacy of the activities conducted within the project at the regional level
- Provide strategic guidance on the implementation of the project and facilitate coordination with various project stakeholders at the regional level
- Assess the progress of the project and make recommendations on project outputs and outcomes to the project team
- Provide linkages and establish synergies with other regional initiatives related to SMEs development, cluster development and creative and cultural industries development
- Meet at least once a year to assess the progress of the project and provide strategic advice on the way forward — paying special attention to the possibility of replicating the project on a larger scale across the region — and provide policy advice to promote the development and sustainability of SMEs clusters in the region
The Project Approval Committee is formed by the Chairperson and a representative of the private sector of each of the Project Steering Committees, a representative of the European Commission (EC), a representative of the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs/Italian Development Cooperation, a representative of the United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO) and a representative of the Union for the Mediterranean (UfM).
In their absence members will nominate a representative to attend the meetings of the PAC. The minimum number of members (quorum) for the Project Approval Committee meetings shall be one representative for each participating country.
UNIDO shall act as the Secretary of the Project Approval Committee and facilitate the following items:
- Setting the agenda for each meeting
- Ensuring that the agenda and supporting materials are delivered to members in preparation for the meetings
- Preparing the minutes of the meetings and obtaining clearance from PAC members
- Reviewing and following up on the progress made on PAC decisions
Every member of the PAC holds the right to invite representatives of other institutions on a need-be basis to attend its meetings.